Monday, April 23, 2007

Vista Vectors Welcome: Just Like Old Times...



My dvd drive died after a week of work on the new Windows Vista. Turns out it didn't die it just disappeared. Vista didn't know it was still there.

Googled the web for a fix and found I wasn't the only one having this %&^# problem. A quick fix was erasing a line in the registry (Yeah, that is Spooky!), but it worked for me.

This is the link to the registry hack similar to the one I used and matches my possible cause of error, Putting a blank DVD in the the drive and leaving it there. Hmmm.

Vista DVD -Drive registry fix (be Very Careful with registry modification).


Ah, windows, just like OLD-Times

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side notes to myself:
Python on Vista?
Someone's done it, this from his web page:

June 22, 2006
Installing python msi on Windows Vista

Finally I've managed to install python on my Windows Vista!
Every time I tried to install the .msi package it was stopping work just after selecting the destination folder and I was going crazy to find a solution..
Then I managed to install it correctly using msiexec

msiexec /i python-2.4.3.msi TARGETDIR="C:\Program Files\Python24" ALLUSERS=1 /qb
Link
( http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.3/ where to get python-2.4.3.msi )


No comments: